Baked Fries with Saffron Aioli
Simple thick-cut seasoned baked fries are an easy side dish for any weeknight meal paired with aromatic saffron aioli.
Tip: If you enjoy the seasoning, mix enough equal parts of the seasonings into a mason jar. Seal and store in your pantry for future use.
Approx. cost per person $1.38 with sauce / $0.74 without sauce
- 2-4 restaurant-size baking potatoes
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. paprika
- 2-4 T. high-heat olive oil
- Cooking spray Saffron Aioli (optional)
- 1/2 c. real mayonnaise
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- Pinch of saffron threads (~8 threads)
- Sea salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make saffron aioli (optional), combine mayonnaise, garlic powder, saffron and salt in small dish. Mix well to incorporate saffron, cover and refrigerate.
- Prep potatoes by pealing and washing.
- Cut potatoes length-wise into thirds, then cut into 3-4 pieces (about 9-12 fries per potato). Cut off and discard any thin corners or edges to allow for even cooking.
- Combine spices, equal parts of onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt and paprika in a small dish and mix well until combined.
- Place potatoes in plastic bag with enough high-heat olive oil to coat (about 1 T per potato). Combine with desired amount of spice mixture and shake until potatoes are well coated with oil & seasoning.
- Prepare baking sheet by coating with cooking spray. Lay out the potatoes evenly on baking sheet with space between each potato. Do not overcrowd the potatoes or they will not get crispy.
- Put in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. Rotate potatoes after ~20 minutes to allow all sides to properly crisp. Cook until desired crispness & serve immediately with sauce.